The last straw was confiuring the 2008 R2 server to act like it was on a home network and not a public one. I think that allowed the some relaxed firewall rules. As soon as I did that and logged back into my XP test box some 17 updates were downloaded and ready to be installed.
After a few hours of effort, at least it does something...
Being the cool guy I am, I skipped reading any documentation and jumped right to the adding roles in 2008, which is really too darn easy. That downloaded and installed WSUS 3.0 SP2, I believe and installed IIS as well. The only piece that needed to be added manually was the 2008 report viewer. After figuring out how to manipulate windows upate settings in the local GPO settings byrunning gpoedit.msc and navigating to computer configuration, administrative templates, windows configuration, windows updates and setting the intranet server I was good to go. There is a command to manually check for updates that I didn’t have to use: wuauclt.exe /detectnow which could be very handy…
Now I need to figure out how to get it to work with Windows 7 and Vista and I’ll be set. After that I’ll need to look at fixing DNS – basically I need to add something from my DHCP server so that leases including a dns suffix, like atlas.xxxx for which I can make my DNS servers authoritative. It would be cake if I had a domain but running Windows Home Server complicates that a bit…
Moving from one issue to another, I guess. At least we finished the laminate flooring in the office today so I can mark down at least one real accomplishment 🙂
Do you see that cool looking “Linkedin” badge over there? Yeah, well, when I added it all of my widgets were reset in WordPress. What’s a widget, you ask? A widget is what you see over there as the archives, calendar, meta, etc. All gone! Hopefully it is close to how it was but that was quite annoying. I thought it was going to be a straight up plugin like the google analytics thing and add it at the bottom of the page or something. Glad it was easy to resolve.
Since I took the trouble, go check out my Linked in profile and write a recommendation for me if you have a few minutes 😉
Another challenge I took up today was configuring WSUS for the local network here. I am tired of constantly getting prompted to install updates! I plan on scheduling a once a month forced push and reboot so that I don’t have to deal with that annoyance anymore. It should also speed up bringing newbuilds (especially XP) online. This has so far led to me to the fact that my DNS is still pretty much half baked and to really get it done right I need to setup DHCP on a server and stop trusting my router. The cool gigabit wireless-n router doesn’t allow for any DHCP configuration. I really need to make sure I can flip it all the way into bridged mode… I’ll be sharing more about the WSUS adventure as I have it. Right now the server 2008 R2 VM I setup to host it is tanking the WAN and itself trying to build down what I can only guess is several gigs of updates and service packs.